With the increasing demand for Scientology and the pressing call for real solutions to the problems which face us, the Church of Scientology of Missouri is embarked on a powerful drive to create an ideal center for Scientology in the Midwest. It is from here that community outreach programs will serve as a catalyst for change of the entire region, including drug prevention programs, crime prevention, literacy programs and human rights education. As L. Ron Hubbard once said, “The end product is not just an ideal organization, but a new civilization already on its way.”
Restoring an Historic Architectural Gem
Built in 1928 as a community center and gathering place for German immigrants, the building at 2345 Lafayette Ave. was originally known as Das Deutiche Haus (The German House). A centerpiece of the surrounding community, just a block from beautiful Lafayette Park among Victorian-era row houses, the building was well-known to the St. Louis community. Renowned for its solid construction and exquisite interior detail, the building was used as a rehearsal venue for the St. Louis Symphony Orchestra due to the fabulous acoustics of its grand auditorium.
Later a school and then finally abandoned during the urban blight that swept St. Louis City in the latter half of the twentieth century, this beautiful building had fallen into disrepair and sat vacant.
When the building was discovered by the Church of Scientology of Missouri and purchased in 2007, it was the ideal location for the upcoming expansion plans. Traditionally, Scientology internationally strives to reinvest in the community, bringing historic structures back to life and preserving the original architectural details. Thus, finding a building of just the right size and in such a wonderful neighborhood was a rare stroke of luck.
The Church’s planned renovations include the restoration of its spectacular architectural features including an awe-inspiring 1200 seat auditorium. Original light fixtures, plasterwork and masonry all will be meticulously preserved, as the Church aesthetically intertwines the technical demands of a cutting-edge 21st-century expansion project with the honorable traditions of one of the city’s historic treasures.